Re: [nfsv4] back channel flags, CREATE_SESSION, BIND_CONN_TO_SESSION

Hi Trond,

> For whom? We have already implemented a callback model that is working
> fine for us. I have yet to see any evidence of the callback
> scalability breakdown scenario that you claim as a motivation. What I
> have (frequently) seen is scalability issues due to clients and
> servers running out of free TCP ports.

For whom?  Well, I work primarily on servers.  I have worked experimentally on the Linux v41 client.  I am pretty sure I wasn't speaking of a "callback scalability breakdown."  I was discussing a tradeoff of ports for reduced overhead of flow control, lock contention, etc.  I wasn't trying to start an inflated theory discussion about these, I don't feel fully at ease doing so.  Still, I don't intuit that potential for port exhaustion trumps other considerations, it is one consideration among several.  I also mentioned some potential benefit for server implementations, such as the one we have been collaborating on.  I'd like to maximize its potential for success.

----- "Trond Myklebust" <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My objection is to the lack of a consensus on a single system for
> implementing features. I'm tired of being told that the spec allows
> you to do the same thing in 10 different ways, with an expectation
> that we should implement all 10 ways.
> If we can't find a single good way of implementing a feature, then my
> preference is to drop support for that feature altogether (or to
> choose one implementation and to stick with it). My expectation for a
> standard is that it should aim to _reduce_ the number of different
> implementations so that we can concentrate our development and testing
> efforts. (BTW: pNFS is definitely not beyond criticism in this
> respect.)

You think the standard should influence, so as to reduce, the number of competing implementations?  Maybe you meant 'implementation choices for <x> feature.'

My expectation from NFSv4 is that there is some room for innovation and experimentation.  I don't think we can avoid this if we wish to compete effectively with ad hoc storage protocols.

> IOW: I can see valid reasons for why we should test the case where the
> server refuses a mixed fore+back channel, but I don't see that as a
> reason to implement a second back channel model. That requires us to
> add code + tests (and perform regular regression tests) for that back
> channel mode, as well as dealing with the case where that model of
> operation too is rejected by the server.

I find I need to keep reminding my self what "assume" does.  But I assumed that the 5661 language for negotiating a back channel was in the draft (standard) because it added value to someone, and perhaps was implemented in some environment.  If so, perhaps such a person will chime in with an opinion.

> Trond

Thanks,

Matt

--