Re: Please support NSF squashing multiple groups

Dear all,

I wrote recently:

  Seems that the mountd option --manage-gids handles the secondary groups
  only. I still do not quite understand why mountd (with that or another
  option) cannot handle the primary GID also, setting it to the GID
  corresponding to the UID on the server; and maybe even "squash" any UIDs
  in a table similar to idmap, or simply squash UIDs less than UID_MIN
  (squash directly, without any kernel interaction). Could you please tell
  me whether those are conceptually possible?

Silly me, should have looked myself! Now I understand that things are
not "done" in mountd, but are in the kernel: the use of those
/proc/net/rpc/%s/channel things is not in the mountd binary, but in the
kernel linux-source-2.6.32/net/sunrpc/svcauth_unix.c . No use setting
things up in mountd, if the kernel does not bother using them.

So it remains that for security, I would need NFSv4 with kerberos.

Thanks for all your help, and apologies for my stubbornness.

Cheers, Paul

Paul Szabo   psz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics   University of Sydney    Australia