Re: Please support NSF squashing multiple groups

On Aug 19, 2011, at 6:06 PM, paul.szabo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Dear Bruce,
>
>>> Does that "work" also against the "evil remote root" e.g. when the
>>> remote machine is compromised?
>>
>> ... Nothing you can do about that.
>
> Thanks for the confirmation.
>
>> ... if several people each have their own client ...
>
> Not my situation.

>>> Sorry I do not use NFSv4 or kerberos, yet. ...
>>
>> Look for "static" in a recent version of the idmapd.conf man page.
>
> Thanks for the hint. Still, [Static] seems to translate UIDs only, seems
> to need umich_ldap and [UMICH_SCHEMA] for group memberships. Maybe
> idmapd ignores group membership lists as received from the client and
> sets the "local" list for each UID? - I guess I will need to investigate
> further how NFSv4 and idmapd work and try to implement them on my
> network.

Note that only AUTH_SYS sends GID and GID lists in the rpc_cred. RPCSEC_GSS with Kerberos only sends the krb5 principal to the server. The server looks up group membership via nsswitch - either /etc/groups, or ldap. Note ldap requires a secure communication usually with an X.509 certificate. NIS is not recommended for use with kerberos.

idmapd only deals with groups when a SETATTR arrives with ACE who's that are group names where it maps the groupname@domain to a gid, or a GETATTR ACL request where it maps gid->groupname@domain

-->Andy