Re: Please support NSF squashing multiple groups

Dear Bruce,

>> Does that "work" also against the "evil remote root" e.g. when the
>> remote machine is compromised?
>
> ... Nothing you can do about that.

Thanks for the confirmation.

> ... if several people each have their own client ...

Not my situation.

>>> If you are using NFSv4 and kerberos than there already exist
>>> interfaces to do what you want. See "man idmap.conf". ...
>>
>> Sorry I do not use NFSv4 or kerberos, yet. ...
>
> Look for "static" in a recent version of the idmapd.conf man page.

Thanks for the hint. Still, [Static] seems to translate UIDs only, seems
to need umich_ldap and [UMICH_SCHEMA] for group memberships. Maybe
idmapd ignores group membership lists as received from the client and
sets the "local" list for each UID? - I guess I will need to investigate
further how NFSv4 and idmapd work and try to implement them on my
network.

Thanks, Paul

Paul Szabo   psz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics   University of Sydney    Australia