RE: open() of device special files

Right. In the case of readlink, you pass a file handle, which points to
an object for which you _can_ check the type before attempting the
readlink operation.

OPEN (and LOOKUP, RENAME, REMOVE,...) takes a filename, which could
point to anything. There is no way for the client to know a priori the
type of the object being pointed to.

> EINVAL seems to be used in the kernel for some such cases as well
(e.g.
> attempt to truncate a device special file).

My reading of the manpages and the posix spec is that truncate() will
return EINVAL if and only if the length argument is wrong. Ftruncate()
will in addition return EINVAL if the file descriptor points to a
non-regular file (the assumption presumably being that you should have
tried to fstat() first).

IOW: The criterion that they apply is that "if the user should have
known better" then EINVAL is correct. If there is no way for the user to
be sure a priori, then it is not. So, for instance, rmdir() will not
return EINVAL if you try to apply it to a file.

> > > I can't see any other error definition that is "obviously
correct",
> but
> > > it looks to me as if NFS4ERR_SYMLINK might be the closest thing.
> One
> > > reason is the dot-x file defines NFS4ERR_SYMLINK as meaning
"should
> be
> > > file/directory".
>
> And this seems more a coincidence due to vagueness resulting from the
> need for a single-line comment; the longer description is:
>
> 	"NFS4ERR_SYMLINK The current filehandle provided for a LOOKUP is
> 			 not a directory but a symbolic link.  Also used
> 			 if the final component of the OPEN path is a
> 			 symbolic link."
>
> > > The other reason is that NFS4ERR_SYMLINK should
> > > _always_ trigger the correct behaviour on a client: a fresh lookup
> of
> > > the component.
> >
> > Confirmed the fix; I'll apply.
>
> Applying anyway for compatibility with existing clients, but this all
> seems a little weird.

Agreed, but it appears to be a case that has been missed when we defined
OPEN.

Trond