RE: NFS Sync with External Journal

The test was:

Iozone -I 0 -r 64k -s 2G -w

Actually, I started with a much larger test suite, and I'm actually most interested in small random write latency, rather than overall throughput, but the sequential writes test make the file system vs log white behaviour obvious via iostat. It also seems that in my environment, the disk write latency actually limits throughput slightly, presumably because the delay in syncing each write delays responses back to the client?

My initial test was with a with a pair of striped drives capable of about 130-160MB/sec on local writes (they're 5400rpm laptop drives).

Some slight tuning (removing the rsize/wsize parameters, and increasing the [r|w]mem_default/max parameters gets the NFS speed up to about 80mb/sec on writes.

Doing the exact same test on a filesystem backed onto some SSD's  gets me up to about 100-105MB sec, although the write latency on these is much lower than the 5400 disks.

I'll get back to you on the ext3 mailing list responses, I'm going to redo my tests on ext4 first.

Regards,
        Tristan

Tristan Ball - Hosted Services Manager VIC
Pronto Hosted Services
20 Lakeside Drive, Burwood East, VIC 3151, Australia
Phone: +61 3 9887 7770 | Email: tristanb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mobile: +61 408 397 473
www.pronto.com.au