Re: How does NFS handle notify?

On Mon, 2011-05-02 at 22:28 +0200, Stef Bon wrote:
> 2011/5/2 Trond Myklebust <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>

> >> So, what's your opinion?
> >
> > Your proposal requires NFS and CIFS protocol support and I just told you
> > that there is none in NFS...
>
> Hi,
>
> yes I've read that. I also have read that there is possibly support
> for in newer versions in NFS.

As I said, there is support for dnotify-like functionality in NFSv4.1,
but no support for inotify, and certainly not for fanotify.

> I imagined that you (not only you but I mean all who are working on
> NFS) are interested to find a good way to do this.

You've proposed a 'solution', but I'm still not seeing what the problem
is.

     1. Why do we need to develop kernel support for dnotify+inotify+...
        in every networked filesystem + fuse?
     2. What are the killer app use cases that we need to support and
        that cannot be supported with existing methods?

Notifications on large distributed filesystems are a scalability
nightmare (particularly so for inotify), so they need careful
justification and need to be limited in scope. Just pulling out a
solution from your magic hat isn't sufficient.

--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer

NetApp