Re: Prioritizing readdirplus/getattr/lookup

--- On Tue, 4/5/11, Jim Rees <rees@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It would be interesting to see someone who is affected by
> this implement the readdirplus system call, modify ls to
> use it, and report the results.  I suspect the system call
> won't go anywhere in linux without some evidence
> that it solves a real problem for real users.

I can't speak to a readdirplus system call; my own (admittedly naive) testing suggests that the system calls are JustFineThankYou, since local "ls -l" with NFS loading (and vice versa) performs very well.

What I can say for certain is that whatever NetApp GX is doing to respond to getattr and lookup calls completely wipes the floor with whatever the Linux nfsd is doing...

...*even when Linux is serving out a completely cached, completely read-only workload*.

I wish I had the know-how and intelligence to figure out exactly why.

Andrew