Re: NFS v4 client blocks when using UDP protocol

On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 19:12 -0500, Tom Haynes wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:50:36AM -0400, peter.staubach@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > It does talk about NFS over UDP, interestingly, but the text on page 25, indicates that the transport of choice MUST be one of the IETF-approved congestion control transport protocols, of which, UDP is not one.
> >
> > Perhaps some clean up of RFC3530bis and RFC5661 could include removal of the UDP mentions.
>
> The text in 3530bis could be made to match that in 5661:
>
>    It is permissible for a connectionless transport to be used under
>    NFSv4.1; however, reliable and in-order delivery of data combined
>    with congestion control by the connectionless transport is REQUIRED.
>    As a consequence, UDP by itself MUST NOT be used as an NFSv4.1
>    transport.  NFSv4.1 assumes that a client transport address and
>    server transport address used to send data over a transport together
>    constitute a connection, even if the underlying transport eschews the
>    concept of a connection.
>
> But as we can see 5661 is very strong.

I think Peter is referring to the text in section 2.2 and section 17.2
which describes the format for netids and universal addresses
specifically for the UDP case.

I agree with Peter's suggestion that we should just delete that text.

Cheers
  Trond
--
Trond Myklebust