Re: NFS v4 client blocks when using UDP protocol

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:50:36AM -0400, peter.staubach@xxxxxxx wrote:
> It does talk about NFS over UDP, interestingly, but the text on page 25, indicates that the transport of choice MUST be one of the IETF-approved congestion control transport protocols, of which, UDP is not one.
>
> Perhaps some clean up of RFC3530bis and RFC5661 could include removal of the UDP mentions.

The text in 3530bis could be made to match that in 5661:

   It is permissible for a connectionless transport to be used under
   NFSv4.1; however, reliable and in-order delivery of data combined
   with congestion control by the connectionless transport is REQUIRED.
   As a consequence, UDP by itself MUST NOT be used as an NFSv4.1
   transport.  NFSv4.1 assumes that a client transport address and
   server transport address used to send data over a transport together
   constitute a connection, even if the underlying transport eschews the
   concept of a connection.

But as we can see 5661 is very strong.

> 		ps

Tom Haynes