Re: different kernels mean NFS4/GSSAPI works or doesn't

On 11-03-23 01:07 PM, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> Please don't remove people from the Cc list.

Fair enough.  Personally, I dislike getting two copies, but I can
respect others' wishes.

> You said this happens only with RPCSEC_GSS?

Indeed.  Hrm.  Well, to be honest my two scenarios are NFS4 with
RPCSEC_GSS and NFSv3.  I've never really looked into NFS4 without
RPCSEC_GSS.  Is that even possible?  What's the point?  I guess there
are protocol improvements in NFS4 aside from RPCSEC_GSS?

> Have you tried bisecting, to see which changes caused it?

I just did, using Ubuntu's "mainline" kernels, which AFAIU are upstream
kernel source without any of their special sauce, but built with their
.configs.

It seems the problem was introduced in 2.6.32.12.  I don't really know
which commit between 2.6.32.11 and 2.6.32.12 though.  In fact I don't
even know where to find these so-called .11 and .12 4th order of
releases to see what all went into it.

I did find
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.32.11 but a
gitweb interface to the changes would be much more useful I think.
Although the number of changes that show up there for matches of /nfs/
or /gss/ are quite small (only one for the latter).

> You can
> probably restrict yourself to bisecting changes to include/linux/sunrpc,
> net/sunrpc and net/sunrpc/auth_gss.

If I could find a gitweb tree to grovel through.  :-)

b.