Re: bind mounts, crossmnt and multi client nfsv3

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 03:24:50 +0100 Dennis Jacobfeuerborn
<d.jacobfeuerborn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a storage system that is exporting many directories to multiple
> clients resulting in a lot of mountpoints (156) on each client. What I'm
> trying to do is to create a single directory on the server and then use
> mount --bind to mount all the different directories (which are stored on
> different LVM volumes) into this single export directory and finally export
> this directory to the clients.
> Now the exports man-page mentions the crossmnt option but it also mentions
> that it cannot be used if I want to export the directory to multiple
> clients. Is there another way to accomplish something like this?

Just export the top directory with 'crossmnt' - it should work fine.

The 'multiple clients' thing only affects 'nohide' and I think it only
affected it back in 2.4 days.
Lots changed with 2.6, but maybe not enough of the man page changed :-(

So try with 'crossmnt' and if it doesn't work, then come back with details.

NeilBrown