Re: Invisible file problem

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 15:52 -0600, Bruce Guenter wrote:
> I have come on a situation where a file in a directory is not showing up
> in any directory listings, yet is still accessible by direct access.  It
> shows up in listings on the server but not on the client.  I did a
> capture of the NFS protocol traffic, and the file is showing up in the
> readdir call results.  If I recreate the directory using the same file
> names but empty files, the behavior persists.
>
> I am running vanilla 2.6.37.1 on both client and server, using NFSv4.
> The server filesystem is ext4.
>
> Is this a kernel NFS client bug?  Is there anything else I can do to
> diagnose the source of the problem, or any way to work around it?
>
> Thanks.

There is a known bug in readdir that has been fixed in 2.6.38-rc6, but
hasn't yet hit the 2.6.37 stable series. Please check the patch at

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git&a=commitdiff&h=d1205f87bbb8040c1408bbd9e0a720310b2b0b9b

and see if it fixes your problem.

Cheers
  Trond