Re: state manager failed on NFSv4 server

On 2011-01-13 02:54, Jim Rees wrote:
> Trond Myklebust wrote:
>
>   > At the time of the EXCHANGE_ID call, how is the server supposed to know what
>   > kind of layout is going to be negotiated?  It doesn't yet know whether the
>   > client is even going to ask for a layout, does it?
>
>   It doesn't matter. EXCHGID4_FLAG_USE_PNFS_MDS is the server's way of
>   advertising to the client that it supports LAYOUTGET and other pNFS
>   related operations. The client is free to ignore that message if it so
>   desires, and just use read/write through MDS. The point here is to tell
>   the client whether or not it should try pNFS if it can.
>
> I guess that makes sense.  But I think section 13 is a bit misleading since
> it contains requirements for the block layout too.

True, but section 18.35. Operation 42: EXCHANGE_ID - Instantiate Client ID
specifically says:

   The EXCHGID4_FLAG_USE_NON_PNFS, EXCHGID4_FLAG_USE_PNFS_MDS, and
   EXCHGID4_FLAG_USE_PNFS_DS bits are described in Section 13.1 and
   convey roles the client ID is to be used for in a pNFS environment.
   The server MUST set one of the acceptable combinations of these bits
   (roles) in eir_flags, as specified in Section 13.1.

Benny