Re: System CPU increasing on idle 2.6.36

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 06:58:09PM -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 17:55 -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:

> > > Thanks, understood; but then, this isn't about behavior that occurs when
> > > a user *changes* authentication flavors.
> > >
> > > It's about what happens when someone sets nfs4_disable_idmapping but
> > > shouldn't have.
> >
> > In other words, to make sure I understand:
> >
> > 	- Is this switching-on-auth flavor *just* there to protect
> > 	  confused administrators against themselves?
> > 	- Or is there some reasons someone who knew what they were doing
> > 	  would actually *need* that behavior?
>
> It is there to ensure that you can use different type of authentication
> when speaking to different servers, and still have it work without the
> administrator having to add special mount options.

Oh, OK--now I understand, thanks!  Then it really is just a restricted
sort of per-mountpoint idmapping.

As such I'm not sure I understand the relative merits of that versus
(possibly per-server) idmapd configuration.  But at least it seems
tolerable.

The biggest remaining problem either way is that the user experience on
an NFSv3->NFSv4 upgrade is still:

	- oh, look, file owners look all wrong.
	- go find documentation of the needed configuration
	  (domain setting in /etc/idmapd.conf, or nfs4_disable_idmapping
	  option)

--b.