Re: System CPU increasing on idle 2.6.36

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 03:32:08PM -0500, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 15:19 -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
>
> > Could you give an example of a case in which all of the following are
> > true?:
> > 	- the administrator explicitly requests numeric id's (for
> > 	  example by setting nfs4_disable_idmapping).
> > 	- numeric id's work as long as the client uses auth_sys.
> > 	- they no longer work if that same client switches to krb5.
>
> Trivially:
>
> Server /etc/passwd maps trondmy to uid 1000
> Client /etc/passwd maps trondmy to uid 500

I understand that any problematic case would involve different
name<->id mappings on the two sides.

What I don't understand--and apologies if I'm being dense!--is what
sequence of operations exactly would work in this situation if we
automatically switch idmapping based on auth flavor, and would not work
without it.

Are you imagining a future client that is also able to switch auth
flavors on the fly (say, based on whether a krb5 ticket exists or not),
or just unmounting and remounting to change the security flavor?

Are you thinking of creating a file under one flavor and accessing it
under another?

--b.