Re: Side effects of having NFSv4 mounted over udp

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 01:04:28PM -0600, Thomas Haynes wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2010, at 1:46 AM, DENIEL Philippe wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know NFSv4 is definitely a connection oriented protocol, but noting prevent from using "mount -t nfs4 -o proto=udp <...>". Using TCP instead of UDP could be of great interest, especially in a HPC context where thousands of clients will operate at the same time. If a nfs mount point is made over udp, what would be the side effects ? I tried to run the connectathon on such a udp based mount point and I could find no errors. Is NFSv4/UDP a suitable solution ? Or does it make no sense to use udp ?
>

> You might find that some implementations have UDP disabled and it might then make
> it hard to triage what is going on.
>
> I believe both NetApp's OnTap and Oracle's Solaris have it turned off.

The Linux server allows it, but I've been considering that a
(low-priority) bug, so it wouldn't be safe to assume it will continue
working.

That aside, if you have a perfect network, NFSv4.0 at least will
probably work.  (Not 4.1 since backchannel setup will fail?)

Are you really sure that you can't make tcp scale to thousands of
clients?

--b.