Re: proposed patch to rpcbind to provide finer-grained security controls than offered by the -i option

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 05:22:43PM -0500, Chuck Lever wrote:
> Thanks for the report.  We are aware of a handful of other minor instances, so it is true that there is not full ABI compatibility.  For most RPC applications of sufficient complexity, the differences are not significant.  At a guess, the use of RPCL and rpcgen to construct your XDR type might be helpful for avoiding this problem.

I'm not expert in rpcgen, but doubt that it's helpful for a low-level library
implementing a new XDR type.  I scanned the man page and don't see any relevant
features.  In any case, I agree that the vast majority of code would not be
mucking around with implementing XDR backends; in my case, I wanted a
scatter/gather memory implementation to avoid some needless copies.

> The XDR struct is not part of the published RPC API, is it?  See Sun doc 816-1435.

I'm sure you are correct.  My point is only that the libtirpc implementation is
not 100% compatible with glibc, so deleting the glibc implementation may cause
trouble for some (very) small subset of applications.  I would still recommend
as a first step flagging the legacy interface as deprecated in the
/usr/include/rpc/*.h header files and directing people to use the new API.

Regards,
Andy