Re: proposed patch to rpcbind to provide finer-grained security controls than offered by the -i option

On 12/10/2010 10:31 AM, Chuck Lever wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2010, at 9:38 PM, Andrew J. Schorr wrote:

>> I think you are correct.  This is probably due to some combination
>> of ignorance and stupidity on my part.  I didn't realize that libtirpc
>> was a drop-in replacement for the glibc RPC routines.
>>
>>> I was under the impression rebuilding the applications was not
>>> possible... but maybe I misunderstood...
>>
>> Rebuilding should be possible, I need to look into this.
>>
>>> But in the end, I guess I'm not against having functionality
>>> like this... If it make it easier for people to port legacy
>>> applications to Linux, its probably a good thing...
>>
>> I think the patch does add more control over rpcbind behavior, but I
>> grant that it may be less interesting if nobody is using IP to connect
>> from local clients.  Nonetheless, it still adds the ability to have
>> separate control over whether to accept remote set/unset calls and
>> whether to honor indirect/callit calls.  Unless I'm mistaken, this is
>> still relevant even if libtirpc is used.
>
> Not to put to fine a point on it, but we discourage the use of
> indirect RPC calls.  It's a well-known security hole.  Also,
> allowing anyone to set and unset RPC registrations is also
> insecure, and is discouraged.
True... but its been this way for years... and always will be...

> In general we want people to switch to using AF_UNIX for local
> registrations, as that is secure from remote attack, and allows
> rpcbind to assign ownership of the registration so that only the
> user who registered that service may unregister it.
If the option of rebuilding is available, yes, people should
switch to libtirpc...

>> So I would argue that the patch is still a good thing, but I agree that
>> I should relink my code with libtirpc.
>
> IMO we shouldn't add features that encourage people to configure
> rpcbind insecurely, especially when there are reasonable alternatives.
The -i is already a securely hole... So if we are concern about it
we should get ride of the -i completely... Or make it a useful
securely hole... ;-)

The point of this patch was to make it easier for people
to port legacy applications to Linux... If this indeed
is the case, I think that overrides these (self induced)
security issues...

steved.