Re: nfsroot mount options

Chuck Lever wrote:

  On Dec 1, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Jim Rees wrote:

  > If I boot diskless with nfsroot, why is the root file system mounted
  > readonly?  This makes sense for a file system on disk, since it may have to
  > be checked before remounting rw, but I don't see why this is needed for
  > nfsroot.
  >
  > Also, Documentation/filesystems/nfs/nfsroot.txt says that only nfs options
  > can be given on the kernel nfsroot option, but I've seen a claim that you
  > can also put "rw" here.  Are other generic options possible?  How about the
  > nfs options that aren't listed in the doc?  Should the doc be updated?

  What kernel version are you looking at?  I think 2.6.37-rc has some
  nfsroot updates that allow all NFS options to be used.

  Not sure about the generic mount options.  Why not just try them and see?

This is Ubuntu lucid, so 2.6.32.  I'm less concerned about the documentation
defect than the question about the default being readonly.  Is there any
good reason other than to match the behavior of non-nfs root?

I ask because there has been a bug in ubuntu for a long time (a couple of
releases) that prevents nfsroot from working.  Their mountall is broken and
can't remount an nfs root rw.  They need to fix this obviously, but it got
me to wondering why the remount should be needed at all.

The bug report is here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mountall/+bug/537133