nfsroot mount options

If I boot diskless with nfsroot, why is the root file system mounted
readonly?  This makes sense for a file system on disk, since it may have to
be checked before remounting rw, but I don't see why this is needed for
nfsroot.

Also, Documentation/filesystems/nfs/nfsroot.txt says that only nfs options
can be given on the kernel nfsroot option, but I've seen a claim that you
can also put "rw" here.  Are other generic options possible?  How about the
nfs options that aren't listed in the doc?  Should the doc be updated?