Re: whither NFS umount?

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:34:45 -0400
Chuck Lever <chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2010, at 4:26 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 16:21:00 -0400
> > Trond Myklebust <Trond.Myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> UMNTALL is part of the same protocol, and yet we have never implemented
> >> that. Just because something is documented, it doesn't mean we have to
> >> do it...
> >>
> >> The bottom line is that UMNT doesn't do what it advertises itself as
> >> doing, and so we should not waste space supporting it in the kernel. We
> >> shouldn't do so in userspace either.
> >>

> > Fair enough. Like Chuck I don't have strong feelings about it, other
> > than seeing no need to continue shipping umount.nfs.
>
> Careful... we still need umount.nfs, which is a link to mount.nfs.  Something in user space has to kick off local namespace changes, even if the server isn't affected.

Most other filesystems don't need a umount helper. If there isn't one
present then /bin/umount takes care of the umount() call and cleaning
the entry out of /etc/mtab.

My understanding was that umount.nfs only existed because it was needed
to handle the UMNT RPC. Without that, there's really no need for it.

...or am I overlooking something?

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>