Re: permission denied with >= ~2.6.25

J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:28:41AM +0200, Martin Vogt wrote:
>> J. Bruce Fields wrote:

>>> Erp.  Should have thought of that.  It's no longer the default in recent
>>> nfs-utils, for this sort of reason.
>>>
>>> (But, note: for anyone exporting directories that aren't mountpoints,
>>> that may expose more of their filesystem than intended.)
>>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> the report for the latest kernel was done with "no_subtree_check"
>
> OK, sorry, I don't know.
>
> You've been varying both client and server, but from your initial
> reports it sounded like this was something that first started happening
> on a client upgrade?

Yes. I tried to go back with the kernels on the client.
(and keep the server fixed)
But up to 2.6.16 I had this svn error. Up to this time
I didn't know that no_subtree_check would increase the
stability that much.
All my tests were done with "subtree_check", except
the tests with 2.6.34 kernel on server/client.

On this server no_subtree_check was the default because of newer nfs-utils.

With this kernel it took ~9hours until I got the "Invalid cross-device
link".

> Have you been able to keep the server fixed while doing a binary search
> through the client version for the first non-working client?

No, test were done with "subtree_check" and as first
I thought that older clients are stable, but that's not true.
It only takes more time until svn aborts.

But the abort after 9hours was only one tests.
I will start the test again and see how long it takes
until it aborts.

Martin