RE: Limits to number of files opened by remote hosts over NFSv4?

Any server is likely to have some limit based on the memory use for the open state.

We recently introduced a configuration to limit the number of opens per clientid in nfs-ganesha for comparison, prior to that it was not specifically limited (and the configuration defaults to no limit) other than we would eventually run out of memory.

It's probably good to have a limit, but your case suggests a value in that limit being configurable.

Frank