Re: BUG in nfs_read_folio() when tracing is enabled

On Fri, Jul 5, 2024 at 9:48 AM Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 05, 2024 at 01:45:11PM +0000, Chuck Lever III wrote:
> > So Dave, I haven't tested the patch you posted a couple
> > days ago, because there hasn't been a clear answer about
> > whether nfs_read_folio() needs to protect itself against
> > the ->mapping changing, in which case, that's probably
> > a better fix.
>
> ->read_folio is called with the folio locked and only unlocks it
> on I/O completion, so it doesn't really need any protection.  So the
> patch to simply move the trace point to before unlocking the folio
> should fix the issue.

I didn't see this so maybe you sent it privately or I missed a message.

> Alternatively we could just use the mapping from the inode variable
> and pass it in.

I'm not sure I follow - are you suggesting fixing the tracepoint?

Regardless of possible tracepoint movement or other fixes,
nfs_folio_length() needs to be patched because it should
handle folio->mapping == NULL.  Ditto for nfs_page_length().