Re: [for-6.11 PATCH 10/29] nfs/nfsd: add "local io" support

On Wed, Jun 12, 2024 at 01:17:05PM +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2024, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> >
> > SO I looked, and I'm saddened to see Neil's 6.8 commit 1e3577a4521e
> > ("SUNRPC: discard sv_refcnt, and svc_get/svc_put").
> >
> > [the lack of useful refcounting with the current code kind of blew me
> > away.. but nice to see it existed not too long ago.]
> >
> > Rather than immediately invest the effort to revert commit
> > 1e3577a4521e for my apparent needs... I'll send out v2 to allow for
> > further review and discussion.
> >
> > But it really does feel like I _need_ svc_{get,put} and nfsd_{get,put}
>
> You are taking a reference, and at the right time.  But it is to the
> wrong thing.

Well, that reference is to ensure nfsd (and nfsd_open_local_fh) is
available for the duration of a local client connected to it.

Really wasn't trying to keep nn->nfsd_serv around with this ;)

> You call symbol_request(nfsd_open_local_fh) and so get a reference to
> the nfsd module.  But you really want a reference to the nfsd service.
>
> I would suggest that you use symbol_request() to get a function which
> you then call and immediately symbol_put().... unless you need to use it
> to discard the reference to the service later.

Getting the nfsd_open_local_fh symbol once when client handshakes with
server is meant to avoid needing to do so for every IO the client
issues to the local server.

> The function would take nfsd_mutex, check there is an nfsd_serv, sets a
> flag or whatever to indicate the serv is being used for local_io, and
> maybe returns the nfsd_serv.  As long as that flag is set the serv
> cannot be destroy.
>
> Do you need there to be available threads for LOCAL_IO to work?  If so
> the flag would cause setting the num threads to zero to fail.
> If not ....  that is weird.  It would mean that setting the number of
> threads to zero would not destroy the service and I don't think we want
> to do that.
>
> So I think that when LOCAL_IO is in use, setting number of threads to
> zero must return EBUSY or similar, even if you don't need the threads.

Yes, but I really dislike needing to play games with a tangential
characteristic of nfsd_serv (that threads are what hold reference),
rather than have the ability to keep the nfsd_serv around in a cleaner
way.

This localio code doesn't run in nfsd context so it isn't using nfsd's
threads. Forcing threads to be held in reserve because localio doesn't
want nfsd_serv to go away isn't ideal.

Does it maybe make sense to introduce a more narrow svc_get/svc_put
for this auxillary usecase?

Thanks,
Mike