Re: NFS with TLS on 4.0

Howdy -

> On Jun 5, 2024, at 10:34 AM, Olga Kornievskaia <aglo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi Chuck,
>
> I noticed an interesting behaviour by the linux server. If I were to
> mount the linux server with vers=4.0,sec=sys,xprtsec=tls, acquire a
> delegation, and trigger a CB_RECALL, then it is done with gss
> integrity. Why is that? I thought callback is supposed to be done with
> the same security flavor as the forechannel.

The CB_RECALL is using the same flavor and principal as was used
for the SETCLIENTID. That is all that the NFSv4.0 spec requires.

Remember that xprtsec= does not specify a security flavor.

> But then also callback isn't done over TLS. Should the callback be
> done over TLS (and it's a future implementation to do for
> client/server)?

The NFSv4.0 backchannel could be done over TLS, sure.

> Or is this a spec restriction/limitation?

The NFSv4.0 spec doesn't know about TLS, so it doesn't take
a position about requiring it.

Unless there's an interoperability concern, IMO standards action
isn't necessary. We can definitely say, though, that a prudent
NFSv4.0 server implementation would choose to try TLS if the
forward channel used it, and a prudent NFSv4.0 client would
require the use of TLS on the backchannel in that case.

The Linux implementation does not do that yet -- TLS would
protect both directions of operation for NFSv4.1 and above,
but for NFSv4.0, it doesn't.

--
Chuck Lever