Re: RFC2224 support in Linux /sbin/mount.nfs4?

> On May 29, 2024, at 2:27 AM, Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 05:02:00AM +0200, Dan Shelton wrote:
>> One syntax across all platforms?
>
> And what exatly would be the use case for that?  It's not like
> mounting file systems is portable in any kind of way.

Dan, administrative interfaces generally need to work the
same across only one operating system. I know Linux might
look like a jumble of commands, but there has been a long-
term effort to get the commands to look and feel the same
here.

You will see that cathedral-designed OSes like Windows
have much better alignment across their admin tools,
though they often have little resemblance to tools on other
OSes (such as compared to MacOS).

Moreover, there's no mandate anywhere that admin interfaces
are portable among operating systems.

One exception is, of course, mount for NFS, and that's
entirely because of automount, which pulls maps from an
LDAP directory that is often shared among heterogeneous
systems.

There are a set of mount options that are the same every-
where due to that, but there's no standard that describes
or mandates these (and no, that's not what RFC 2224 does).
Protocol interoperability does not require this, and actual
protocol standards are often ambiguous precisely in order
to allow each implementation to provide its own unique set
of features and value-add.

So far, we haven't found any real value for supporting
NFS URLs on Linux, so they are not implemented here. We
could if there is a clear technical need to, but so far
you have not articulated one.

Now in general, when you make a feature request, you do
need to present user stories [1] and use cases [2] so we
can understand:

 - what is lacking in the current environment

 - who will use the requested feature and how

That's just simple good design process. Please include
those in your requests so we don't have to go back and
forth with you yet again when you post single-sentence
feature requests from out of the blue. What might seem
obvious to you is not always clear to us, and it's
especially important because you are asking us to design
build and maintain code AT NO COST TO YOU. Please show
some respect for that.

(I'll note that Mr. Blancher's comment about inter-
nationalized domain names is on point, but I'm not
convinced that NFS URLs are necessary to support them.
mount.nfs was converted, years ago, to use the
getaddrinfo(3) and getnameinfo(3) APIs so it should
already handle iDNA properly. If it doesn't that's a
bug, IMO).

--
Chuck Lever

[1] https://www.productplan.com/glossary/user-story/