Re: [NFS] Please help with NFS on Kubuntu Karmic 9.10

Rob Gardner wrote:
> Larry Alkoff wrote:
>> I am unable to connect with Kubuntu netbook remix Karmic 9.10.
>>
>> I have seen many posts and articles on this issue.
>>
>> The problem seems to be centered around the nfs version being used
>> and I have placed the following 2 lines in /etc/fstab:
>>
>> kata:/          /mnt/kata       nfs     defaults,noauto,nfsver=2  0 0
>> kata:/home      /mnt/kata/home  nfs     defaults,noauto,nfsver=2  0 0
>> kata is the netbook server which I am trying to mount on the client
>> called arriba which runs on Kubuntu 8.04 LSB.
>>
>> Most of the posts I have read say to add 'nfsver-2' to the fstab lines.
>> However on both client and server, cat /proc/filesystems |grep nfs
>> shows only:
>> nodev nfs
>> nodev nfs4 and
>> nodev nfsd.
>>
>> It seems that this problem appears when people upgrade to (K)ubuntu 9.10
>> from an earlier version.  In my case, this is a new netbook and I loaded
>> the most recent version Kubuntu 9.10.  Efforts to load Kubuntu 8.04 LTS
>> which I use on my other machines failed - possibly because of the
>> limited facilities on this small HP 110 Netbook.
>>
>> This result happens on both server kata and client arriba.
>> I don't know that the 'nodev' means.
>>
>> I would like to add either nfs2 or nfs3 but have no idea how to specify
>> this in apt-get or aptitude.
>>
>> I'd also like to add that I have used Linux desktops and nfs for years
>> (mostly on the command line) and believe it's setup correctly.
>>
>> Please I am requesting troubleshooting advice.
>> It's getting really old to have to use a thumb drive to transfer files.
>>
>> Larryalk
>>

> Just pointing out that you do not actually state what the problem is
> beyond "unable to connect". It might help if you described the symptoms
> a little further, ie, "I see mount error -13 on the console". For what
> it's worth, I think the "nodev" thing is a red herring; I see the same
> thing on my ubuntu server, and I can mount its exported filesystems just
> fine.
>

> Rob Gardner

Hi Bob.

Here is what I have found so far.

I was able to mount kata / and /home about 1/2 hour ago.
I used the mount to make a comparison between 2 files on kata.

However, the next thing I tried to do (an ls I think)
the connection hung up.  Every time I attempt to cd to the mount,
konsole locks up and I have to quit the session.

In /var/log/syslog and messages I have repeated instances of:

Dec  5 15:58:50 arriba kernel: [164159.298317] nfs: server kata not
responding, still trying

In /var/log/kern.log repeated instances of:
Dec  5 15:58:50 arriba kernel: [164159.298317] nfs: server kata not
responding, still trying

I have a feeling that I have told nfs to use nfsver=2 and I don't
actually have nfsver=2.  However, I don't know how to find out
what I do have except for what /proc/filesystems tells me.
And I don't know how to load another version of the nfs system.

I've read a _lot_ of posts of Karmic users complaining that nfs won't
run.  Some have said it won't run unless you add nfsver=2 to the fstab
line but it's not working for me.  One person posted that he was able to
change to nfsver=4 and I might try that since it's listed in
/proc/filesystems but I thing nfs4 needs kerberos to run properly.
I have zero experience with that.

It's kind of a big mess and I'm amazed that the Ubuntu people have not
jumped on this since nfs is so crucial but I haven't heard a word.

I thought it would be a good idea to load Karmic on this netbook which
would prepare me for all the UI changes that have been made until the
LTS version coming in April but apparently not such a good decision.
I have a big meeting Monday with the tax accountant and I don't dare to
try and load something else coz I'll need the netbook.  I'll probably
just go to the meeting and turn over any files he wants on a thumb drive.

Here are a couple of urls on the problem:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8398721#post8398721
	Man claims to have a working nfs but I don't understand what he's doing.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NFSv4Howto
	Changing to nfs4 seems very complicated
	Many peoples experiences on mounting nfs in nfs3
	which isn't even on my list.

Thanks for trying to help,
Larryalk