Re: [NFS] Please help with NFS on Kubuntu Karmic 9.10

Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I am unable to connect with Kubuntu netbook remix Karmic 9.10.
>
> I have seen many posts and articles on this issue.
>
> The problem seems to be centered around the nfs version being used
> and I have placed the following 2 lines in /etc/fstab:
>
> kata:/          /mnt/kata       nfs     defaults,noauto,nfsver=2  0 0
> kata:/home      /mnt/kata/home  nfs     defaults,noauto,nfsver=2  0 0
> kata is the netbook server which I am trying to mount on the client
> called arriba which runs on Kubuntu 8.04 LSB.
>
> Most of the posts I have read say to add 'nfsver-2' to the fstab lines.
> However on both client and server, cat /proc/filesystems |grep nfs
> shows only:
> nodev nfs
> nodev nfs4 and
> nodev nfsd.
>
> It seems that this problem appears when people upgrade to (K)ubuntu 9.10
> from an earlier version.  In my case, this is a new netbook and I loaded
> the most recent version Kubuntu 9.10.  Efforts to load Kubuntu 8.04 LTS
> which I use on my other machines failed - possibly because of the
> limited facilities on this small HP 110 Netbook.
>
> This result happens on both server kata and client arriba.
> I don't know that the 'nodev' means.
>
> I would like to add either nfs2 or nfs3 but have no idea how to specify
> this in apt-get or aptitude.
>
> I'd also like to add that I have used Linux desktops and nfs for years
> (mostly on the command line) and believe it's setup correctly.
>
> Please I am requesting troubleshooting advice.
> It's getting really old to have to use a thumb drive to transfer files.
>
> Larryalk

Just pointing out that you do not actually state what the problem is
beyond "unable to connect". It might help if you described the symptoms
a little further, ie, "I see mount error -13 on the console". For what
it's worth, I think the "nodev" thing is a red herring; I see the same
thing on my ubuntu server, and I can mount its exported filesystems just
fine.

Rob Gardner