Re: nfs-utils' .service files not usable with nfsv4-server.service

On 8/4/24 00:29, Chuck Lever III wrote:
On Apr 7, 2024, at 10:45 AM, Steve Dickson <steved@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 4/6/24 6:26 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
On Sat, Apr 6, 2024 at 4:37 PM Steve Dickson <steved@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Unfortunately the idea of having a nfsv4 only server
did not go over well with upstream.
Which upstream do you mean? nfs-utils, Linux kernel?
The NFS server maintainers... they didn't push back hard
but the didn't it was necessary.
I'm sympathetic to some folks wanting a narrower footprint,
but I think we'd like to have support for all versions
packaged and available for an NFS server administrator,
right out of the shrink-wrap. Currently, most installations
want to deploy v3 and v4, so we should cater to the common
case.

I have to say I agree with Chuck.

Over the years I have had to deal with the consequences of dropping support

for NFS versions. So far that has been at the distribution level but if it

had been at the upstream level I would have had a much harder time of it.

am-utils for example, yes it's maybe not a good case because it lacks upstream

support nowadays, but I still work on it. It uses an NFS client implementation

to provide automount support and NFS v2 was ideal for the localhost server but

v2 support was removed from distro kernel builds and I had to implement an NFS

v3 server for this which was very much overkill.

Now there's talk of dropping v3 support which will spell the end of am-utils,

unnecessarily IMHO.

I can understand the urge to drop v2 but there are still many v3 users so I wonder

about the wisdom of even thinking about dropping v3 support and multiple packages,

IMHO, will introduce an unnecessary downstream overhead. It's hard enough to keep

up with the workload as it is.

I also gat that mostly what I'm saying has happened at distro level but please don't

go down this path upstream too.

Ian

As I recall, the NFSv4-only mechanism proposed at the time
was pretty clunky. If you have alternative ideas, I'm happy
to consider them. But let's recognize that an NFSv4-only
deployment is the special case here, and not make life more
difficult for everyone else, especially folks who might
start with an NFSv4-only deployment and need to add NFSv3
later, for whatever crazy reason.

The nfs-server unit should be made to do the right thing
no matter what is installed on the system and no matter what
is in /etc/nfs.conf. I don't see why screwing with the
distro packaging is needed?

--
Chuck Lever