Re: nfs-utils' .service files not usable with nfsv4-server.service

On 4/7/24 12:29 PM, Chuck Lever III wrote:

On Apr 7, 2024, at 10:45 AM, Steve Dickson <steved@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 4/6/24 6:26 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
On Sat, Apr 6, 2024 at 4:37 PM Steve Dickson <steved@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Unfortunately the idea of having a nfsv4 only server
did not go over well with upstream.
Which upstream do you mean? nfs-utils, Linux kernel?
The NFS server maintainers... they didn't push back hard
but the didn't it was necessary.

I'm sympathetic to some folks wanting a narrower footprint,
but I think we'd like to have support for all versions
packaged and available for an NFS server administrator,
right out of the shrink-wrap. Currently, most installations
want to deploy v3 and v4, so we should cater to the common
case.
Which we have now... nfs-utils.

As I recall, the NFSv4-only mechanism proposed at the time
was pretty clunky. If you have alternative ideas, I'm happy
to consider them. But let's recognize that an NFSv4-only
deployment is the special case here, and not make life more
difficult for everyone else, especially folks who might
start with an NFSv4-only deployment and need to add NFSv3
later, for whatever crazy reason.
I'm not sure what you mean by "clunky"... The only addition
was exportd which mirrors the v4 code/support in mountd.

The nfs-server unit should be made to do the right thing
no matter what is installed on the system and no matter what
is in /etc/nfs.conf. I don't see why screwing with the
distro packaging is needed?
nfs-server.service and nfsv4-server.service were never
meant to be compatible... One or the other... Maybe
that was the mistake.

steved.