RE: Public NFSv4 handle?

> From: Cedric Blancher [mailto:cedric.blancher@xxxxxxxxx]
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 at 21:59, Trond Myklebust <trondmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2024-02-13 at 21:28 +0100, Dan Shelton wrote:
> > > [You don't often get email from dan.f.shelton@xxxxxxxxx. Learn why
> > > this is important at https://aka.ms/LearnAboutSenderIdentification ]

> > > No, I do not consider this "backward compatibility". The "public"
> > > option is also intended for public servers, like package mirrors
> > > (e.g.
> > > Debian), to have a better solution than http or ftp.
> > >

> > PUTPUBFH offers no extra security features over PUTROOTFH. It is
> > literally just a way to offer a second point of entry into the same
> > exported filesystem.

Do any clients even provide a mechanism to mount using PUTPUBFH?

> Right. It doesn't expose your "private" filesystem hierarchy.

There are ways to avoid exposing the private filesystem hierarchy. I have used bind mounts in the past and some servers may allow specifying the pseudo path for exports to hide the filesystem hierarchy.

> > A more modern approach would be to create 2 containers on the same
> > host: one that shares the full namespace to be exported, and one that
> > shares only the bits of the namespace that are considered "public".
> > That approach requires no extra patches or customisation to existing
> > kernels.
>
> Oh for god's sake. Please don't call "containers" a "modern approach".
> It's just a sad waste of resources, aside from the other shitload of problems they
> cause.
> Also in real life, we frog-eating backwards savages here in Europe do not have
> so many public IPv4 addresses available to put everything into containers, and
> changing everything to IPv6-only networks will take another 2 or 3 decades
> here.

There are ways to do it without containers, though a container gives an additional level of security.

> Cedric Blancher <cedric.blancher@xxxxxxxxx>
> [https://plus.google.com/u/0/+CedricBlancher/]
> Institute Pasteur

Frank Filz