Re: Public NFSv4 handle?

> On Feb 13, 2024, at 3:28 PM, Dan Shelton <dan.f.shelton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2024 at 16:32, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Are you referring the the old WebNFS stuff? That was a v2/v3 thing,
>>> and, I believe, only ever supported by Solaris.
>>>

>> One more try! I think my MUA was having issues this morning.
>>
>> NFSv4.1 supports the PUTPUBFH op:
>>
>> https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8881.html#name-operation-23-putpubfh-set-p
>>
>> ...but this op is only for backward compatibility. The Linux server
>> returns the rootfh (as it SHOULD).
>
> No, I do not consider this "backward compatibility". The "public"
> option is also intended for public servers, like package mirrors (e.g.
> Debian), to have a better solution than http or ftp.
>
> What does it take to implement a "public" export option?

For starters, I'd like to see a less nebulous user story that
explains why NFSD's PUTPUBFH operation is not adequate.

Unauthenticated clients can already mount an NFSv4 server's
psuedoroot via a well-known path ("/") and descend into any
publicly-accessible exported directory. That is typically
sufficient for streaming servers, package mirrors, and many
other kinds of distribution services.

Can you explain what else is needed?

--
Chuck Lever