Re: Should we establish a new nfsdctl userland program?

On Fri, 26 Jan 2024, Dan Shelton wrote:

> Also, it might be good for hosters to allow more than one nfsd
> instance with seperate exports file, each running on its own
> address/port combination. And not force them to use a VM to bloat
> resources.

This is possible with containers.  If you try to start nfsd in a new
network namespace, it will be a new instance independent of nfsd running
in any other namespace.
You would need a filesystem namespace of the various tools to see the
/etc/exports that you want it to.

I would like it to be easier to configure this, but I'm certain that
namespaces are the right way to create a new instance.
(It might be nice to allow separate NFSD namespaces in the same network
namespace but we'd need clear evidence that using network namespaces
causes genuine problems.)

NeilBrown