Re: nfs-utils&nfsd&autofs not supporting non-2049 TCP port numbers - Fwd: showmount -e with custom port number?

On Sun, 2024-01-07 at 23:33 +0100, Cedric Blancher wrote:
> Good evening!
>
> Generic issue in all of nfs-utils: None of the utils properly support
> NFSv4 with non.standard (TCP/2049) port numbers.
>
> mount supports it for mounting, but does not show it for listing mounts
> /proc/mounts does not show the port number either

mount just gets the mount info from /proc/mounts, which absolutely does
show a port= option when you use a different port than 2049.

> showmount -e does not support a port number

showmount talks directly to mountd so you wouldn't usually point it at
the same port nfs is listening on.  As with most sunrpc based tools, it
queries rpcbind in order to determine what port to talk to. If you're
going to use stuff like showmount, then you need to ensure that rpcbind
is reachable and that the daemons register with it properly.

> autofs does not support non-2049 port numbers
> nfsd referrals do not support setting non-2049 port numbers

The same goes for autofs. It just calls /bin/mount. I think (but am not
sure) that even with NFSv4, when the client can't contact the server on
port 2049, it'll try to use rpcbind to determine the port.

Alternately, if you don't want to deal with rpcbind for mounting, you
could also specify a hardcoded "port=" mount option in your autofs maps.