Re: nfs-utils&nfsd&autofs not supporting non-2049 TCP port numbers - Fwd: showmount -e with custom port number?

On Sun, Jan 07, 2024 at 11:33:31PM +0100, Cedric Blancher wrote:
> Could you please make a concentrated effort and allow non-2049 port
> numbers for NFSv4 mounts, in all of the lifecycle of a NFSv4 mount?
> From nfsd, nfsd referrals, client mount/umount, autofs
> mount/umount+LDAP spec

One reason we have not pursued stack-wide NFSv4 support for
alternate ports is that they are not firewall-friendly. A major
design point of NFSv4 (and NFSv4.1, with its backchannel) is that
it is supposed to be more firewall-friendly than NFSv3, its
auxiliary protocols, and its requirement to deploy rpcbind.

Also, these days it is relatively easy in Linux to deploy multiple
NFS services on a single physical host by using containers (or just
separate network namespaces). So instead of alternate ports, each
NFS service is on port 2049, but it has its own IP address. That
kind of deployment is supposed to be fully supported with NFSD today.

Commercial NFS server implementations also typically make it easy
to add distinct NFSv4 services at unique IP addresses but all on
port 2049.

--
Chuck Lever