Re: POSIX ACL support for NFSV4 (using sideband protocol)

On Wednesday 02 September 2009 22:22:06 J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 01:56:23PM -0500, Steve French wrote:
> > In the meantime we don't even have a generalized system interface to
> > set/get nfsv4/cifs/ntfs acls
>
> The current client is using raw xdr-formatted v4 acls in an extended
> attribute.  We could consider some other interface if that would be more
> useful to other projects.  (Andreas' patches have a different
> xattr-based interface which might serve as another example.)

Yes, the current nfsv4 client exposes NFSv4 ACLs with "user@domain" and
"group@domain" identifiers in xattrs. Users and groups of local processes and
files are are identified by ID though, so the kernel would have to map between
"user@domain" and "group@domain" identifiers and IDs even for local accesses.
This doesn't make sense. The native NSFv4 ACL prototype [1] uses IDs in its
xattr format instead; all the ID mapping logic remains in NFSv4 (and in Samba
for CIFS).

[1] http://www.suse.de/~agruen/nfs4acl/

Andreas