Re: POSIX ACL support for NFSV4 (using sideband protocol)

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:16 AM, J. Bruce Fields<bfields@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If I remember correctly, Linux's posix acl support was added at about
> the same time the NFSv4.0 spec was being written--I seem to recall the
> first ACL patches being merged around the same time as the first NFSv4
> patches?

NFSv4 RFC was December 2000 (CIFS/NTFS ACLs, which were much more
complex than earlier OS/2 ACLs,  are about 4 years earlier than NFSv4
ACLs).   POSIX ACL support was added to mainline Linux kernel at the
end of 2002 (see below):

2002/10/31 02:34:21-05:00 tytso
Port of (bugfixed) 0.8.50 acl-ext2 to 2.5

This patch adds ACL support to the ext2 filesystem.

2002/10/31 02:33:05-05:00 tytso
Port of (bugfixed) 0.8.50 acl-ext3 to 2.5.

This patch adds ACL support to the ext3 filesystem.

2002/10/31 02:30:17-05:00 tytso
Port 0.8.50 acl-xattr patch to 2.5 (harmonize header file with SGI/XFS)

This patch provides converts extended attributes passed in from user
space to a generic Posix ACL representation.

--
Thanks,

Steve