Re: mount.nfs: access denied by server

On Aug 21, 2009, at 5:30 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 05:15:45PM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 16:36 -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
On Aug 21, 2009, at 4:04 PM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
Also, while I hope this is the last bug in the mountd's flavor list
return, it isn't the first--only recently did we even start using real information from the export instead of just faking something up. So I
think it's safest to preserve the historical sec= behavior and give
users a way to override the negotiation, to cut down on bug reports of
mount failures on upgrade.

OK, if this is a recently introduced server problem, then why do we
need to adjust client-side behavior?  Trond's response in cases like
this is usually "fix the d*mn server," which you've already done.

What is the definition of "recently introduced" here? What is the exact
commit that introduced the bug in nfs-utils?

By the way, looking at 'gitk utils/mountd/mountd.c' in my tree:

	Originally (didn't look to see how far it goes back), mountd
		returned AUTH_NULL, AUTH_UNIX, in that order.

1999, at least. That's when nfs-utils was imported into a source control system, which was later moved to git.

	53c5bd65c74, first in 1.0.8, always returns
		AUTH_NULL, AUTH_UNIX, AUTH_GSS_KRB5, AUTH_GSS_KRB5I,
		AUTH_GSS_KRB5P, in that order.
	3c1bb23c037, first in 1.1.3, removes AUTH_NULL from that static
		list.
	603017f2c15, first in 1.1.4, derives the psuedoflavor list from
		the export (and introduces the above bug).

1.1.4 was released October 14, 2008. I'm sure it was a month or two before distributions picked it up.

	The latest patch, not yet in Steve's repo, fixes the empty flavor
		list.
	For the rest of eternity, mountd is perfect.

Having the client ignore flavor checking if the returned auth flavor list is empty is easy. We should check the behavior of the legacy mount command too.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com