Re: NFS/IPv6

On Aug 4, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Trond Myklebust wrote:

On Tue, 2009-08-04 at 13:37 -0400, Chuck Lever wrote:
On Aug 4, 2009, at 1:35 PM, Trond Myklebust wrote:
Hi guys,

There was apparently a presentation and proposal made at the IETF in
Stockholm w.r.t. standardising IPv6 support in lockd/statd, and adding
link-local addresses to NFSv4. The proposal could possibly have
consequences for our implementation efforts.

Please see the slides and minutes here

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/75/minutes/nfsv4.txt

and

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/75/slides/nfsv4-0.pdf

Was Mike Eisler involved?  I recently reviewed a draft RFC on this
topic.

Mike didn't present it, but the person who did was indeed from NetApp,
so it is possible that this is the same RFC...

I've reviewed Alex's RFC. It attempts to nail down a lot of ambiguities in the rpcbind protocol as well as provide some best practices for implementors.

The big issue for us is multi-homed support for lockd. IPv6 support means mixed family clients and servers have at least two IP addresses; it automatically means our systems are now multi-homed. Our lockd/ statd doesn't really work well in multi-homed environments, so that's an area I've been reviewing.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com