Re: should we make --enable-tirpc the default in current nfs-utils?

Chuck Lever wrote:
> On Jun 9, 2009, at 8:35 AM, Steve Dickson wrote:
>> Chuck Lever wrote:

>>> I disagree.
>>>
>>> The question about changing the upstream default came up because I asked
>>> RH to enable this option in Fedora so we can test first.  Steve doesn't
>>> want Fedora to enable TI-RPC unless upstream has it enabled by default.
>>>
>>> So this is _precisely_ about why RH won't enable this in Fedora first.
>> My concern, as with all package maintainers, is to keep their package
>> or git tree or whatever as stable as possible so as not to have a
>> negative on his or her community users....
>>
>> So my reluctance to make the switch in the Fedora Development stream,
>> called Rawhide, came from the concern of breaking the NFS components
>> what would have (as it has have) a very negative effect on entire
>> development of the next release (in this case F-12).
>
> There must be something I don't understand.  Why would we foist
> something on all distributions (by placing it in upstream) that you
> wouldn't even put in a development distribution?
It comes down to choice... If someone does a git pull and make install
from the upstream git tree and nfs-utils blows up breaking NFS
1) it on them to debug and fix or simply back it out
2) It only effects them.

When an rawhide (or opensuse) user does a "system update to the latest
untested version" and nfs-utils blows up
1) its on the package maintainer to (quickly) debug and fix or back out
2) more importantly it effect the entire community until another
   build cycle which can take up to 24 to 48 hours.

> My impression was that
> this kind of testing was exactly the purpose of rawhide and Fedora.  Is
> user space NFS special in this regard?  If so, how can we make progress
> if testing opportunities like this are not available to user space NFS?
Bug fixes, cleanups and minor enhancements (like enabling nfs41 support in
rpc.nfsd) are what I see development streams are for... But switching
out an entire supporting library, replacing all the glibc RPC code
is completely different... IMHO

steved.