RE: should we make --enable-tirpc the default in current nfs-utils?

But **IF** you had a release candidate model, then you would have a
mechanism for OTHERS to pick up "pre-release" code and get the
additional testing you are after.  Without it, your only option is to
put un/little-tested code into mainline nfs-utils (I am going on your
assertion and Chuck's that this code needs more testing).  I can't see
any reasonable excuse (non-FUD as you say) for not doing things this
way.