Re: Link performance over NFS degraded in RHEL5. -- was : Read/Write NFS I/O performance degraded by FLUSH_STABLE page flushing

On 6/5/2009 7:35 AM, Steve Dickson wrote:
Brian R Cowan wrote:
Trond Myklebust<trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote on 06/04/2009 02:04:58
PM:

Did you try turning off write gathering on the server (i.e. add the
'no_wdelay' export option)? As I said earlier, that forces a delay of
10ms per RPC call, which might explain the FILE_SYNC slowness.
Just tried it, this seems to be a very useful workaround as well. The
FILE_SYNC write calls come back in about the same amount of time as the
write+commit pairs... Speeds up building regardless of the network
filesystem (ClearCase MVFS or straight NFS).

Does anybody had the history as to why 'no_wdelay' is an
export default?

Because "wdelay" is a complete crock?

Adding 10ms to every write RPC only helps if there's a steady
single-file stream arriving at the server. In most other workloads
it only slows things down.

The better solution is to continue tuning the clients to issue
writes in a more sequential and less all-or-nothing fashion.
There are plenty of other less crock-ful things to do in the
server, too.

Tom.

 As Brian mentioned later in this thread
it only helps Linux servers, but that's good thing, IMHO. ;-)

So I would have no problem changing the default export
options in nfs-utils, but it would be nice to know why
it was there in the first place...

Neil, Greg??

steved.