Re: Read/Write NFS I/O performance degraded by FLUSH_STABLE page flushing

Trond Myklebust (trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote on 2 June 2009 13:27:
 >Write gathering relies on waiting an arbitrary length of time in order
 >to see if someone is going to send another write. The protocol offers no
 >guidance as to how long that wait should be, and so (at least on the
 >Linux server) we've coded in a hard wait of 10ms if and only if we see
 >that something else has the file open for writing.
 >One problem with the Linux implementation is that the "something else"
 >could be another nfs server thread that happens to be in nfsd_write(),
 >however it could also be another open NFSv4 stateid, or a NLM lock, or a
 >local process that has the file open for writing.
 >Another problem is that the nfs server keeps a record of the last file
 >that was accessed, and also waits if it sees you are writing again to
 >that same file. Of course it has no idea if this is truly a parallel
 >write, or if it just happens that you are writing again to the same file
 >using O_SYNC...

I think the decision to write or wait doesn't belong to the nfs
server; it should just send the writes immediately. It's up to the
fs/block/device layers to do the gathering. I understand that the
client should try to do the gathering before sending the request to
the wire.