Re: Read/Write NFS I/O performance degraded by FLUSH_STABLE page flushing

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 16:41 -0400, Peter Staubach wrote:
> Chuck Lever wrote:
> >
> > On Apr 30, 2009, at 4:12 PM, Brian R Cowan wrote:
> >>
> >> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=ab0a3dbedc51037f3d2e22ef67717a987b3d15e2
> >>
> Actually, the "stable" part can be a killer.  It depends upon
> why and when nfs_flush_inode() is invoked.
>
> I did quite a bit of work on this aspect of RHEL-5 and discovered
> that this particular code was leading to some serious slowdowns.
> The server would end up doing a very slow FILE_SYNC write when
> all that was really required was an UNSTABLE write at the time.
>
> Did anyone actually measure this optimization and if so, what
> were the numbers?

As usual, the optimisation is workload dependent. The main type of
workload we're targetting with this patch is the app that opens a file,
writes < 4k and then closes the file. For that case, it's a no-brainer
that you don't need to split a single stable write into an unstable + a
commit.

So if the application isn't doing the above type of short write followed
by close, then exactly what is causing a flush to disk in the first
place? Ordinarily, the client will try to cache writes until the cows
come home (or until the VM tells it to reclaim memory - whichever comes
first)...

Cheers
  Trond