Re: Read/Write NFS I/O performance degraded by FLUSH_STABLE page flushing

Trond Myklebust wrote:
> Look... This happens when you _flush_ the file to stable storage if
> there is only a single write < wsize. It isn't the business of the NFS
> layer to decide when you flush the file; that's an application
> decision...

I think that one easy way to show why this optimization is
not quite what we would all like, why there only being a
single write _now_ isn't quite sufficient, is to write a
block of a file and then read it back.  Things like
compilers and linkers might do this during their random
access to the file being created.  I would guess that this
audit thing that Brian has refered to does the same sort
of thing.

       ps

ps. Why do we flush dirty pages before they can be read?
I am not even clear why we care about waiting for an
already existing flush to be completed before using the
page to satisfy a read system call.