Re: RFC: merging sm-notify and rpc.statd

On Tuesday May 19, chuck.lever@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Neil-
>
> As part of IPv6 support for NFS, I've been looking at rpc.statd and sm-
> notify.  IPv6 support touches so many parts of both, and the current
> open-coded RPC request schedulers in both can't support netids without
> major revision or replacement.  So I've decided to write a replacement
> instead of grafting in support for IPv6 to the current implementation.
>
> For many reasons I'm thinking of merging sm-notify and rpc.statd back
> together.  The two were split only a few years ago, and it seems to me
> that it was done to support SuSE's in-kernel statd, which has since
> been effectively abandoned.
>
> Having the two separated has ushered in a host of minor
> complications.  Packaging and init-scripts are more complicated.  Both
> executables have separate knowlege about /var/lib/nfs/{sm,sm.bak}.
> There are two separate man pages that share a lot of the same content.
>
> So, what do you think about folding sm-notify back into rpc.statd?
> Steve suggested there may have been a customer issue that drove the
> separation.  Do you have any recollection of the issues?
>
> For the rest of the list: are there strong dependencies outside RH and
> SuSE distributions that would require a separate sm-notify
> executable?  Any other issues?

While the separation of sm-notify was presumably driven by the suse
in-kernel statd, that wasn't the reason that I copied the idea in
nfs-utils.

sm-notify and statd really have two very different tasks.

sm-notify :
   - is a 'client' for the "SM" protocol.
   - must be run at boot time, and after that is not needed.

statd :
   - is a 'server' for the "SM" protocol.
   - only needs to be running when either nfsd is running or an
     nfs mount which supports locks is active

Thus I feel they are conceptually quite distinct.

It is probably true that they could share a slab of code, and putting
that code in a common .c file would make a lot of sense.

I am not strongly against re-uniting them.  However before doing that,
I think it would be a good idea to collect a list of the problems that
would be solved by unifying them, and the asking the question: is
unifying them the only or best solution to these problems.

Thanks,
NeilBrown