RFC: merging sm-notify and rpc.statd

Hi Neil-

As part of IPv6 support for NFS, I've been looking at rpc.statd and sm- notify. IPv6 support touches so many parts of both, and the current open-coded RPC request schedulers in both can't support netids without major revision or replacement. So I've decided to write a replacement instead of grafting in support for IPv6 to the current implementation.

For many reasons I'm thinking of merging sm-notify and rpc.statd back together. The two were split only a few years ago, and it seems to me that it was done to support SuSE's in-kernel statd, which has since been effectively abandoned.

Having the two separated has ushered in a host of minor complications. Packaging and init-scripts are more complicated. Both executables have separate knowlege about /var/lib/nfs/{sm,sm.bak}. There are two separate man pages that share a lot of the same content.

So, what do you think about folding sm-notify back into rpc.statd? Steve suggested there may have been a customer issue that drove the separation. Do you have any recollection of the issues?

For the rest of the list: are there strong dependencies outside RH and SuSE distributions that would require a separate sm-notify executable? Any other issues?

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com