Re: The next step: nfsvers=4

Steve Dickson wrote:
Chuck Lever wrote:
If no vers= is specified and only NFSv4 is available on the server, but
something like "nocto" shows up on the command line mount options, do we:

a) fail the mount, or
b) ignore the nocto option
I would say ignore this particular option... since, in a sense, v4 give you this option
by default due to delegations... but point well taken... The mapping of
v3 to v4 and visa versa will have to be addressed... I would guess in the mount
command...
a) seems like the least surprising behavior.

What about "proto=udp" ?  Linux supports UDP for NFSv4, though other
server implementations probably don't.  If that's specified on a mount
command line without a vers= option, what version should we choose?
I think people just want things to work... so if they specify only UDP
and the server supports V4, we give them V4/TCP. If they REALLY want UDP, they would have to specify 'nfsvers=3,udp'.

Or, if there was an mount configuration file, they could specify the
MAX_VERSION to be 3 and then -o udp mounts work as expected...

I would agree that things should just work as much as possible. I would think that the options that aren't applicable should be ignored, and the values that are known to be incorrect should be fixed if possible. More likely than not, I care that my mount succeeds. Once that happens, I begin to care how it succeeded, and can go figure out where I made a mistake and how I ended up with v4/tcp when I really wanted udp and didn't care which nfs version I use.

For implementing more complex policies, maybe we can extend
the command syntax to accept a range and/or an ordered list
of versions to try.
Steve mentioned /etc/default/nfs on Solaris.  I could see
/etc/sysconfig/nfs on Linux containing a couple of lines defining the
range of allowable NFS versions, if we think this is necessary.  This is
a simple pre-existing file, and has little potential for introducing
negative side-effects.

I like the idea of having a file that allows me to specify or default values, or acceptable ranges for the various mount options. I'd also like to be able to specify overrideable options in the automount maps where the right-most option wins.

-kevin

The /etc/sysconfig/nfs is a distro only file... Meaning I know of only one distro that uses that file.. So I would tend to shy away from putting anything in that...
steved.